Monday, July 23, 2018

Peru Birding - Hummingbirds in the north and Condors in the Andes

Sparkling Violetear. Huembo Reserve, Peru. 17 July 2018
















The best laid plans often go awry. My plan was to post to this blog once every 2 or 3 days during my trip to Peru, but very intermittent internet access, and the large number of photos I took (5500+) on the trip, made that impossible. I participated in a Manu Tours trip to northern Peru birding from July 8-17, visiting many sites with hummingbird feeders on a tour focused on photography, and with the primary goal of seeing the Marvelous Spatuletail. From there, I booked 3 1/2 days with Kolibri Expeditions on the coast of Lima and up to 15,600 feet elevation in the Andes, continuing to look for hummingbirds, Peruvian endemics, and the mysterious Diademed Sandpiper-Plover.

On the 14 days of birding, I managed to see or hear 462 species, which included 106 "life" birds, of which 24 were Peruvian endemics, and 54 species of hummingbird. Among the hummingbirds, 17 were life birds and brought my total of hummingbird species seen to 204. In the coming weeks, as I go through all the photos I took, I will update this blog. So many birds, so little time! Stay tuned.

4 comments:

Paul Adams said...


Brilliant photos of dazzling hummingbirds

Celeste Louque said...

Thank you for sharing these magnificent creatures!!! Outstanding photos!

Dave Lancaster said...

Interesting as always, great photos.

Unknown said...

Looks like a fantastic trip - looking forward to more photos!